Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pets like Saving too!

I have the world's most spoiled pets. Kitten alone has a box crammed full of toys. She also eats very good kitty cat canned food (Iams ProPlan, Merrick, Fancy Feast), etc. I am not, however, going broke feeding and spoiling the critters.

Petsmart accepts coupons, and they also give out some great coupons. They frequently have tearpads in the cat and dog food aisle for free cans of food.

For example, a few months ago (before we got Kitten, actually) there was a 5.00 off of a five pound bag of Authority cat food, which sold for 5.99. There was also a tearpad coupon for two free cans of cat food when you bought a bag of dry food. I had enough coupons to do this three times, so I got three bags of cat food and six cans for 2.98. I bought them with the intention of donating them to the shelter, but they just sat at the top of my fridge (I know, bad lady) until we adopted Kitten, and now she eats them.

But not just that. Our Petco (which also accepts coupons) has a table next to the checkout lane. They offer food that is close to, but has not reached, the expiration date. Again, the food is not expired, it is just close to it, usually within a month. I bought Kitten Fancy Feast cans for a dime. I have also been able to get her Merrick cat food for forty cents. The main ingredients in Merrick are lobster, shrimp, tuna...!!! I just check the food when I open it for quality assurance (look, smell, texture) and we are good to go. She loves it, and she's a very healthy kitten. You can't really stockpile it, because the expiration date looms so close, but if you live close by a Petco, just swinging by once a week to snag the savings is worth it.

Walk around the store. Our Petsmart and Petco have had crazy clearence sales on toys, grooming, or bowls. I bought Kitten expensive toys for $1, $2, $3...

You also never know when you'll run into a crazy deal. Ferret food is usually $15 for a 6lb bag, but they had it on clearence for $4. I bought all of them, and now we have a three month supply for the price of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment