Saturday, September 24, 2011

Coupon Lessons from Shopping

This is today's coupon haul from Petsmart, Walmart, and Target.

Petmart had Authority cat food on sale for 5.99, and there was a 5.00 printable coupon, plus you got two free cans of cat food. PLUS, while I was in the store, a lady handed me a coupon for 15% off my entire order. I got the bag of kitty food and two cans of cat food for .87. I'm going to start a donation box for the local animal shelter. :)

Petsmart and Petco in Danville are good places to save money on pet food and treats. They have decent sales, rewards for their card members (just fill out a form) and they take manufacturer coupons. Plus, they were running several promotions with various types of dog and cat food where you got free cans of wet food when you bought dry.

Target doesn't double coupons, but they do have their own coupons online. You can stack one of their Targt web coupons with a manufacturer coupon to save a lot of money. I did this today with Aquafresh: they had it on sale for $3, but there was a 1.50 coupon on the Target website, and I had a .75 coupon off from the Sunday part, so I got the toothpaste for .75 cents.

COUPON LESSON: Stack store coupons and manufacturer coupons for even better deals.

Before I went to Target, I planned out my trip and took out all of my coupons that I planned to use, and then put them in a baggie. I still took in my coupon binder in case I found something else good, which I did! Target has Milkbone dog biscuits for 2.54. I don't have the oz in front of me, but the decent sized box, not the jumbo. On the dog was a peelie coupon for a free pouch of Milkbone soft and chewy treats when you buy two boxes of dog biscuits. I opened by binder and found a Target coupon for 1.50 off two boxes of Milkbones, so I got two boxes of Milkbones, plus the soft treats (which were 3.59) for 3.58.

COUPON LESSON: Keep your coupons with you!

Also, when I was checking out, the cashier told me to make sure to leave a peelie coupon on the product instead of peeling it off. If it has expired and you leave it on the product, they still have to honor it.

COUPON LESSON: Don't remove stick-on or peelie coupons from the product.

Target is running a sale this week on granola bars. You can get 4 for 10, from a combination of Nature Valley and Fiber One. These can be as much as 2.98 at Walmart, so that's a decent price, BUT if you buy four, you get one free, making them 5 for 10. I had two coupons for $1 off 2, so I got all 5 for $8, making them 1.60 each. I each one or two granola bars every day at work, so I'll definitely use these.

At Walmart, I had the best time. :) Walmart doesn't double coupons, and they don't run many sales on their various products. Sometimes they do rollbacks, but their average price on almost anything is pretty comparable to other stores. They will price match, if you are used to doing that. What Walmart WILL do, and a lot of other stores won't, is that they will give you cash back if your coupon is more than the price of the item, or you can use it towards the cost of other items in your transaction.

Example: I had a coupon for $6 off two packages of Schick disposable razors, excluding the 2 count pack. Walmart has a 10 count package of Schick disposable razors for 1.97. They aren't as nice as the more expensive razors, but they will get the job done. The price of two is just $4, so for each coupon I use, I MAKE $2. I had four coupons, so I bought 8 packages of razors, and got 8 dollars BACK to use towards the other items in my basket. I bought 2-liters of Coke and a box of Capri-Sun, since we are always using those and Walmart has the cheapest price. I also bought two bottles of Diet V8 Splash because I love it, and because I had a coupon for $1 off too, making them 1.50 each. I got my eight razors, four bottle of Coke, two bottles of V8 Splash for 2.88. PlUS, when I got home, I realized that the razors have coupons them for $3 off of one package of Schick razors, so I can use those to increase my stockpile if I wanted, or save them to use later. They don't expire for another six months.

COUPON LESSON: Watch for moneymaking coupons! Use the overage to buy things you don't have coupons for and still need.

If you watch Extreme Couponing, this is the type of coupon those ladies would have used to be able to buy things like meat and produce. I only had four of these coupons, but some of the extreme couponers on the show would very likely have had, say 100 of those coupons and received LOTS of money back. That's one of the ways the people on the show are able to buy so very much for so very little.

Today, all of my purchases together were $31.60.

I still wish we had some of these other great stores with awesome coupon deals and policies, like Harris Teeter, Kroger, or Rite-Aid, but you can still do a lot of good couponing and saving with Walgreens, CVS, Target, Walmart, and Farmer's :)

No comments:

Post a Comment